What we do
In a world where some organizations are stuck in 1990s Human Performance Improvement methodology or still stuck on a “common sense” approach, we try to stick out with new and innovative ways of training and transforming organizations. We have experienced a lot of what works, and what is simply a waste of time. We can help your organization assess its human performance program needs and together we can develop a training and implementation strategy to get your program where it needs to be in a very short time and for a very reasonable cost.
This website was created in 2013 by James Newman who owns and operates Human Performance Tools, LLC, a consulting group that started in 2016. He performs as an analyst, speaker, developer and trainer. While he is passionately working with organizations interested in updating or developing a Human Performance or Work Observation program, he continues to design innovative and creative training to improve performance.
Some associated clients and recent speaker work
James has worked directly with the following power and delivery companies supporting a role in a Human Performance Improvement: Dominion, Entergy, TVA, Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Company, Westar Energy, ITC Holdings, NV Energy, and NRG.
Starting in 2017, James and his team members are also working with non-utility companies to assist in development of strategic initiatives and training to reduce errors and eliminate events. No company is too small to reap the value of error management.
He also has co-presented in 2016 at the following conferences:
- “Medication Event Prevention and Error Reduction” with Kristin C. Klein. ACPE approved continuing education program presented to the Southeast Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists; Farmington Hills, MI; February 10, 2016.
- “Using human performance tools to reduce pediatric medication errors.” Klein KC, Newman JD. Poster presentation at Center for Patient Safety Conference; St. Louis, MO; April 7, 2016.
- “Tales from the Crib: Medication Event Prevention and Error Reduction in the NICU” with Kristin C. Klein. ACPE approved continuing education and BCPPS recertification program presented at the Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group Annual Meeting; Atlanta, GA; April 27, 2016.
- James also spoke at the Western Electric Coordinating Council (WECC) Human Performance Conference in October 2015 on the subject of “Building and Earning Trust in Organizations.”
The main author
James Dean Newman has been a Human Performance Practitioner in commercial nuclear power and the transmission, distribution and generating utility industries for the past 10 plus years, and a Nuclear Instrument & Controls Technician for 15 years prior. James continues to participate in conferences, human performance training opportunities, self-assessments, and benchmarking all over the United States. Besides www.humanperformancetools.com, James has also launched a podcast for like-minded professionals.
The Toolbox community
The Toolbox Community are the 1000 plus people who have subscribed to this site, from all over the world and from amazing backgrounds. People who are interested in training tips and fun stories about error prevention have come to the right place. The Toolbox is a moniker reminding us that everything is designed with a purpose and we need to employ the correct technique at the correct time, for maximum effectiveness (the right tool for the job). Once in a while, besides the original content, there will be a post with many resources to link to: funny or inspiring videos or amazing content for you to use in your training session. Think of these posts almost like a link library, where someone else has already taken the time to research and find great content for you!The Podcast
The podcast is about three things: Hearing how authentic people with interesting jobs or situations prevent errors from turning into events, interviews with HU Practitioners, and some one-on-one time with the site’s main author. People are passionate about what they spend their time doing, and people who want to help others do it safe, effective, and with efficiency want to leave a legacy. Anyone who chooses a path to teach adults anything, must have a strong desire and competency to be effective. The goal is to be filled with energy on each topic, while giving you a front seat to conversations and interviews with interesting people.
If you are interested in authoring or co-authoring a post, being interviewed on the podcast, or finding more out about www.humanperformancetools.com, please email James directly: James@HumanPerformanceTools.com –
Our wish is for you and your team to have an event-free day.
- Click here for Human Performance Training Courses
- Basic Human Performance Causal Analysis
- Corrective Action Review Board
- Dynamic Learning Activities Workshop
- Human Performance Steering Committee
- Integrating Human Performance Into Existing Training Programs
- Managing Distractions
- Team Building to Improve Leadership and Communication Skills
- Work Observation and Coaching
- Human Performance Fundamentals
- Human Performance Tools ebooks
- Services HPT Provides
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (5)
- March 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (1)
- July 2016 (3)
- May 2016 (1)
- April 2016 (5)
- March 2016 (10)
- February 2016 (1)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- July 2015 (3)
- June 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (2)
- July 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (3)
- February 2014 (5)
- January 2014 (3)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (1)
- October 2013 (3)
- September 2013 (4)
- August 2013 (10)
- July 2013 (9)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- What do I need to pay an expert consultant for when I can do this myself?
- Should “cross-checking” be added to the Human Performance Toolbox? Yes!
- Can you explain the Analysis phase of ADDIE? Part 2 of 6
- “Don’t use Human Performance Tools every minute of every day, only when they matter the most.” James D. Newman
- “The commitment of the new view is… to see why assessments and actions made sense to people at the time.” – Sidney Dekker
- “Resilience: One small crack doesn’t mean you’re broken. It means you were put to the test and didn’t fall apart.”
- “TELL me and I forget, TEACH me and I remember, but INVOLVE me and I learn.”
- What is the best networking solution ever? Masterminds! How’s that going for you?
- This is an exciting goal to reach and our team wants to thank all of this site’s visitors!
- Does effective training still start and end with ADDIE? Part 1 of 6
- Near Misses or Good Catches in your organization
- Offering Human Performance Improvement Training
- Why your Human Performance Improvement effort needs a “Strategic Plan”
- The Medical Human Performance Improvement Movement
- 9 Questions and Answers for New Human Performance Practitioners
- Can you tell me about the Culture Speaker and Affective Survey you developed?
- 14 Best practices of a conference poster presenter
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: OOPS – Outside Of Procedure, Parameters, or Process – STOP
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Procedure Use and Adherence
- Are you looking for a job in Human Performance? Here’s one to consider:
- Should I create a Mastermind group to help me with my role in Human Performance?
- Do you have any tips for running a booth at a Human Performance and Safety Fair?
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Job Site Review
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Flagging
- What do you recommend for “lower level” Human Performance Investigations?
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Phonetic Alphabet
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Three-Part Communication
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Peer-Checking
- Human Performance Tool Spotlight: Self-Checking
- What’s the coolest device you’ve ever used in a classroom? Snap Circuit Junior (SC-100)!
- Who can help my organization improve human performance?
- Should it be called a Human Performance “Program,” or something else?
- Will I be a better presenter if I lost weight?
- When should I use the “5-Whys” causal analysis?
- Do you know of a tool that can determine if a leadership team and an organization are aligned?
- What do you know about Decision Making? Here are 6 tools to help!
- Should I care about “Performance Modes?”
- What exactly is a “Human Performance” tool?
- Which Human Performance Tools aren’t Human Performance Tools?
- What makes up a Dynamic Learning Activity?
- What is the difference between HPE, HPT and HPI and does it matter?
- Indicators part 2: What does a comprehensive program contain?
- Are all disasters preventable? (Earthquakes and Positive Train Control)
- Indicators Part 1: Where do I start with Human Error?
- Are you going to post more HU-related content? Absolutely!!
- Podcast Episode 6: Error prevention at a Connecticut Hair Salon (Interview)
- Are you afraid of misinterpretations of INPO’s Cumulative Impact Document?
- Practitioner Spotlight: James D. Newman – Are you looking to hire a Human Performance Practitioner?
- Knowledge Transfer part 2: Should this job have a Post-Job Brief/Critique?
- Can I get some tips on behavior coaching from your HU Library?
- Practitioner Spotlight: Have you ever heard of Safety and HU Professional, Todd Conklin?
- How do habits work and what is controlling our behavior?
- Can you explain “Knowledge Transfer” to me?
- What should an Advanced Human Performance Training Course include?
- Can you explain “Human Performance” versus “Industrial Safety” to me?
- What do you know about Digital Control System error prevention?
- What is DevonWay’s 6-step plan for performance improvement in 2014?
- What’s your Human Performance Problem?
- Are you wondering who visits this site beside you? Welcome to blog post #50!!!!
- Podcast Episode 5: Affective speech on “Coaching” by Kevin Lee
- Have you ever consider an ancient Buddhist technique for better hazard or error-precursor recognition?
- How can I use Affective training in a classroom?
- How can I improve a Safety Conscious Work Environment (SCWE)? By building trust in your organization
- Do you know a way to track each time a worker touches the power plant? (Exclusive solution in this post!)
- What’s coming soon for HU Tools and can I have some Coaching tips?
- You said what? Why did you say the wrong thing when it mattered the most?
- Why should there be a Human Performance Podcast?
- When do error reduction techniques get in the way of the work? (Cumulative Effects)
- How can you get more engagement and inclusion in your classroom? Here’s an idea: Audience Response Technology!
- Podcast Episode 4: Interview with Dave, Pharmaceutical Safety Assessment
- Where do you go when you need inspiration or a bit of motivation?
- Podcast Episode 3: Interview with Dana Cooley, HU Consultant
- Podcast Episode 2: Interview with Ryan, Blackjack Dealer
- Podcast Episode 1: Intro and Interview with John Hart, HU Practitioner
- HU Tools Team Announcements – Can you please help with a poster session?
- How do I get buy-in for an Observation program? (Observations, Part 5* of 4) *bonus
- What do I need to start an effective Observation program? (Observations, Part 4 of 4)
- What are the parts of a complete Observation? (Observations, Part 3 of 4)
- What are some theories that support conducting field Observations of your workers? (Observations, Part 2 of 4)
- How can I improve my powers of Observation? (Observations, Part 1 of 4)
- How should we address media stories about potential human error?
- Is there a difference between Situational Awareness, Situational Understanding and being Self-Aware?
- What do you learn when you interview a 5-year-old on Human Performance?
- How far have we come and how far can this go?
- Why is trying to multitask so bad? And what can I do about it?
- How can I be more prepared for situations?
- How can I eliminate waste and improve bottom-line results?
- Can you tell me the story of “The 3 Punks?”
- What the heck is “gamification,” and did you even spell that right?
- Is the unexamined life worth living? Yeah, I’m taking about Performance Indicators
- How do blaming, latent organizational weaknesses and punishment relate?
- How important is it for others to view you as a professional?
- How can I protect against prescription errors and how do I talk with kids about it?
- What is the difference in looking at a problem versus seeing a problem?
- Should inspiration play a part in Human Performance Training?
- What does Jerry Maguire have to do with this blogpost? (Think Feedback)
- When do I need to provide training versus a job aid and where do I start?
- What is the power of a checklist?
- Have you ever heard of an Error Carried Forward?
- Should engagement and intrinsic motivation matter to me?
- Can you think of ways this Human Performance Podcast can help you?
- How do you prepare for disaster potential?
- Where did you draw inspiration to start this blog and upcoming podcast?
- Intuition and Situational Awareness… Isn’t it time for some Human Performance Tools?
- How would you approach this investigation? (Panic in the Laundry)
- After unwanted outcome, what should we do about people who feel responsible?
- What was the first Human Performance Tool?
- Am I allowed to use YouTube videos for my presentations?
- Where can I find professional certifications or accredited education as a Human Performance Practitioner?
Powered by SiteTree